This week I encountered my first issue in GNOME. In this post I'll explain how I solved the GNOME desktop manager crash that was the cause.

I recently installed fedora 22 with the GNOME desktop environment on my desktop. Previously I used Unity on ubuntu. I had no problems at all with my new GNOME desktop environment and I was pretty satisfied with the GNOME experience. This week however I encountered my first problem in GNOME. At startup the GNOME Display Manager (GDM) crashed with a message stating “Oh no! Something has gone wrong.” (see image below). Below are the steps I took to solve this problem.

GDM error message

Identifying the Problem

Since there were no further details in the crash message, I had no idea what the problem could be, so the first thing I did was googling for the error message. I found a bunch of similar issues, but none were applicable to my situation. I did however find some useful information I could apply for finding out what was the cause of the GDM crash.

Error Logs

The next thing I did was looking at various error logs. First I started a virtual terminal on the F4 key by running Ctrl + Alt + F4. There I looked at boot.log, Xorg logs and syslogs. None of them contained any error messages or useful information. Next I generated an additional error log by issuing following command

$ sudo startx 2> startx.errors
This would start the X server and save the stderr stream to startx.errors. The segment below gave some very useful information:
X.Org X Server 1.17.3                                                           
Release Date: 2015-10-26                                                        
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0                                               
[...]                                
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols     
>                   Ignoring extra symbols                                      
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server                               
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":2".                                 
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":2".                                 
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":2".
[... hundreds of these lines ...]
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":2".                                 
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/10-qt5-check-opengl2.sh: line 3: [: : integer expression expected
xinit: connection to X server lost                                              
^M                                                                              
waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
Apparently the GLX extension was missing. I figured out this was due to the NVIDIA drivers. So the easiest solution I could think of was reinstalling my NVIDIA drivers. Luckily I had not yet removed the downloaded drivers, so I could simply run the NVIDIA shell install script. And lo and behold, the problem was fixed when restarting the X server.

See Also/References